Tuesday 27 September 2011

Final Reflection on overrall learninng

Final Reflection
I found this assessment and this course very interesting, enlightening and challenging. When I first started this paper I felt that I knew everything there was to know about technology but all my preconceived notions were challenged and most of them have evolved. The definition of technology to me was everything that was digital only but I was so surprised after reading Smorti (1999, p.5) state that technology is about “helping people and solving problems”. It made me realise that technology is all round me and actually made me realise that unconsciously I was under valuing traditional and non digital technology.
When I actually put it in perspective and reviewed my teaching I actually realised that there were so many learning opportunities that I could actually promote for children and hence my first blog was about non digital technology. When I noted the child’s interest and explored it along with the children, I was amazed at the direction it took us in and this is where I found Lovely feedback on my blog invaluable. I thought her feedback and my own learning from the class and applied it to actually extending children interest in non digital technology through their interest in cars. The children have explored how cars work, then they design their own cars and we just last week made our own cars using natural and recycled resources and this week painted the cars.

Children are currently actually gathering more information about cars so that they can decide what model their car will be. I am astounded at the amazing journey it has become and how children and I myself included are actually learning not only to rely on digital technology. Technology in tis case opened a up a whole new window of opportunity for children in terms of learning by exploration, like Allen(2002) states that children learn by exploring people, places, environments and events that are very significant to them.  
Furthermore prior to this assessment I always had fears about children’s safety when using the internet, but after having guest speakers come in our class to speak with us I have actually realised that if we have safety measures in place and actually provided appropriate programs for children, the computer enable children to explore and enhance their creative expression.  My belief is supported by Te Whāriki which states the need opportunities to develop the “ability to represent their discoveries using creative and expressive media and the technology associated with them(Ministry of Education, 1996. p. 88). In relation this I found Harpreet’s feedback on my second blog very helpful and I realised that if I have had reservation about using computers and internet with young children maybe parents felt the same and therefore I have in conjunction with other staff member organised a parent information night, where the parents and teachers can actually share their views about computer technology and share their views about how we could incorporate computers in our curriculum.


When I was actually thinking about ways to share with parents the learning outcomes of computers for young children I remembered a favourite quote of mine which is actually out of the movie Spiderman which was “with great power come great responsibility” and I just thought ,wow that is exactly how I felt about computers in early childhood education. Computers are a very powerful learning tool but educators, children and parents need to consider the appropriate uses and having rules around it uses. Haugland (2000, p.17) reaffirms my belief by stating  “developmentally appropriate settings children learn to make many choices regarding when and how long they use learning resources, computers should be no different”.
I found feedback from my peer very encouraging because sometime I realised that they shared my feeling while other actually made me thing about different ways of doing things. For instance in response to Jawa’s feedback about my reflection 3 on the use of camera, in our preschooler room we have actually installed more programs and a printer that allows children to be able to print their own pictures. We are actually at the moment working with children and trying to compile our very own digital photo album with children voices, so that children are able to record why those pictures are so important to them. We then hope to send copies to each parent so that they are able to view it and keep it as part of their family albums.
The most significant learning for me has been coming to the realisation that it is not about digital technology against outdoor play but more that it is about balance and providing our children with as many learning opportunities as possible so that they are able to make choices and well informed decisions. I belief in Te Whāriki  when it states that children need opportunities to become “competent and capable” but that is only possible if I as an educator take a proactive role and promote a positive uses and image of technology as a whole (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.9).

Reference
Allen, P. (2002). Science and Technology in the early childhood setting. Christchurch, New Zealand: User Friendly Resources.
Haugland, S. W. (2000). Early childhood classrooms in the 21st century: Using computers to maximize learning. Young Children, 55 (1), 12-18.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in Early Childhood. Early Education, No.19 Autumn 1999, 5-10.

No comments:

Post a Comment